Re: Choosing the music player for multimedia keyboard

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 06:34:08PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 18:23 +0200, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> > I cannot find where the decision is taken by gnome (2.8) of which music
> > player is chosen when the keyboard setting (gnome-keybinding-properties
> > capplet, but it just sets the gconf key) Launch Music player is used.
> > It launches xmms for me. I would like to keep xmms, but use rhythmbox or
> > bmp instead.
>
> Where do you see "Launch Music Player"? It's not in the upstream GNOME
> 2.8 or GNOME 2.10. If you're using ACME for some reason, it would be
> whatever application is bound to play MP3s (mime-type "audio/x-mp3").

It is in Preferences -> Raccourcis claviers (which is translated in
english as Keybindings or Keyboard shortcuts). There is a list of
actions there (with a submenu for Sound), and I have such choices as
Mute, Lower Volume, Pause and Play (or Play/Pause). When I bind this
last action to XF86AudioPlay (one of the keys of my keyboard, but it
could be ScrollLock or any other), and I hit this key, xmms is launched.

I would like to have rhythmbox or bmp launched instead.

There is no entry for audio/x-mp3 in /etc/mailcap for xmms.

I just would like to understand which package of gnome deals with this
so that I could see wether it can or cannot be tailored to my needs.

I will probably end up managing this at the window manager level.