Re: How can I remove everything gnome/gtk and start afresh? [solved]

Robert McQueen wrote:

cga wrote:

Well.. I've already done this a couple of times - once w/

   $ apt-get  remove --purge gnome

or something similar..

This doesn't remove all the packages which make up GNOME, it removes just the "gnome" package, which depends on things like gdm, gnome-panel, gnome-session, etc, which make up the GNOME desktop. It removes the root of the dependency tree but leaves all the trunk, branches and leaves...

Furthermore (with regard to your removing xserver-xfree86 doesn't remove any of the UI software on your system because there is no dependency from xlib on an X server - this is because you can have all of this software installed and run forwarded over a network, so no X server is required locally.

To remove all GNOME components, "apt-get remove --purge" a package which almost all of them depend on, such as libgtk2.0-0, or even more aggressively, libglib2.0-0, and then apt will also offer to remove everything else that depends on these packages. To remove everything that uses X, "apt-get remove --purge libx11-6" will have a similar effect. Be aware, however, that these commands will remove far more than just GNOME, so you should copy the list of packages that apt will be removing, and then you can paste the list back into a command like "xargs apt-get install <<EOF" to install them again (enter EOF or Ctrl+D to indicate you've finished entering the packages).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rob

I first did a bunch of "apt-get install --reinstall" of gconf.. libgtk.. gnome.. and that seemed to fix a few things but as I was still having various problems with the gnome configuration GUI I eventually "purged" libgtk2.0-0. After reinstalling gnome it looks like things are back to normal.

Thanks much for your help.