Re: Permission for 'dev/pmu'

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:43:13PM +0100, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

> > > So let's do it ? Do you volunteer on writing the code ? I would rather
> > > continue preparing the 2.6.10 powerpc kernel upload.
> >
> > Sjoerd, since it's so trivial, could you give us an ETA on your upload?
> > Others here don't appear to know the fix as well as you and all have their
> > hands full with other tasks, so your trivial fix would be highly
> > appreciated.
>
> Sjoerd proposed to replace acme_error by g_warning; it *is* trivial.
> Patch attached.  [no, Sjoerd didn't propose a patch to use unreleased
> hal 0.6 lcd brightness functions]
>
> Feel free to forward the patch to an appropriate bug report.

The debian patch patches this code away, so this patch is not completely
right.. I've already patched the debian package on my local system. The change
will go the bts after some extra testing..

My proposed fix is very simple, but apparently some people didn't understand
it. If acme_error is changed to a g_warning, then in case
gnome-settings-daemon can't access the pmu (for whatever reason) it will just
output a warning to .xsession-errors which is harmless and not in the users
way..

Practically if a users want's to adjust his backlight via the keys, he either
needs to install something with pbbuttonsd functionality or fiddle with the
permissions of his pmu.

  Sjoerd
--
Life is knowing how far to go without crossing the line.