Re: Permission for 'dev/pmu'

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:17:22AM +0200, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:48:39PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > just kill this warning.  Debian works just fine without backlight
> > control on both my ibook and the g5.  And it's really not worth giving
> > hardware control to an unadited GUI program.
>
> Having been trying various ways to fix this for a number of days, I'm slowly
> coming to the conclusion that the best option for Debian would be to purge all
> of ACME's Powerbook-specific LCD control code out of the way.
>
> If upstream ever gets around cleaning up this code to use safer, more generic
> methods, such as doing everything via 'pmud' then we could reintroduce it.
>
> Any objection?

Just change the code to a g_warning instead of a dialog and stop whining? I
personally use this code and so do many others, so removing it isn't an
option..

Hal 0.6 will have generic methods to do the lcd brightness stuff and many other
cool things, which gnome will probably start using in due time..

  Sjoerd
--
Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a crime to
examine the laws of heat.