Re: Lost Desktop after upgrading to GNOME 2.8 on Testing

Fixed for me.

I've found that the problem was caused by not being able to access an already mounted NFS share after starting the firewall.

To clarify, as part of the boot process, the NFS shares of other host get mounted localy on my machine. After that, lokkit starts up and activates the firewall which seems to be far too restrictive and does not allow outgoing traffic for NFS.

If, under this conditions, I try to do something like 'df -Th' it, obviously, gets hung indefinitely.

The problem with the GNOME desktop gets solved if I stop the firewall.

Thanks for your support anyway.

Eduardo

Eduardo Díaz wrote:

Hi,

last weekend I upgraded (unintentionally) from GNOME 2.6 to 2.8 on my
Debian Testing (x86, kernel 2.6.8).

After upgrading, and before login/out and restarting gdm, everything
was working perfectly.

But, after logout/in (and restarting gdm), I got no Nautilus normal
functionality.

This means that:
- I get a grey desktop (no wallpaper, no icons, nothing).
- I cannot launch the file browser by clicking on its icon.
- I cannot launch the file browser from a shell but I still get no
feedback message.
- Nautilus is in fact running, but it leaves no error on /var/log/syslog.
- I experience the same with the root user.
- No errors are coming up.

Things I guess related to Nautilus or the desktop are not working
either (such as the desktop background chooser which comes up but
hangs in grey).

The rest is working as usual:
- The panel and its applets.
- A lot of GNOME applications (I have not tested everything, but all
tests I did were successful).
- All other apps.

I assume this information is probably not complete enough, but I'm not
really sure where to look next.

Could anybody please help me on solving this?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
Eduardo