Re: Type-to-search in gtk fileselector?

Sven Luther wrote:

> > You are speaking of a different thing. Upstream have removed the
> > text entry for paths from the U; but the typeahead is a new gtk 2.5
> > feature.
>
> But they were adamant that the removal was a feature a few month back.
> Guess they don't know what is best for us after all, or maybe they
> reacted to all the out-cry or something ...

Sven, I think you are still confusing different issues.  This is about
type-ahead selection, like in Mac "open" dialogs.  It is not about tab
completion.  Type-ahead was not "removed" a few months ago.  It just
hadn't been implemented yet (but was already planned).

Second, the GTK+ developers never said that of auto-completion and path
entry were "features" (although there *were* debates about the proper
design and implementation).  They weren't included in GTK+ 2.4, but
upstream has been working on them in GTK+ 2.5 since August.

If you want to learn more or be involved in these decisions, work with
the upstream GNOME usability and gtk-devel lists.  This list is not the
right place to try to affect the GTK+ development process.