nautilus issues ?

I am not sure if this is related to nautilus, gnome-vfs or gnome-mime-data/shared-mime-info packages... couple of days ago i had to reboot my computer and when i booted up and logged back in i realized that i can not open anything, except my home directory by double-clicking on it. Every folder or a .jpg image i have on my desktop when double-clicked on pops up a message that "There is no action associated with "XXXXX". Only opening my home dir or application shortcuts works, however, after opening the home dir i can not open anything
from there....

When i run `gnome-file-types-properties` i get a warning that says:

(gnome-file-types-properties:17256): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function. User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.

and the list of file types has only one category - "Internet services"
/usr/share/mime/ exists, readable by my user and it has all the needed files
/usr/share/mime-info also looks fine.

in ~/.xsession-errors i get following messages when double click items on desktop:

/export/home/xxxxxxx/Desktop/dsc00543.jpg: /export/home/xxxxxxx/Desktop/dsc00543.jpg: cannot execute binary file

when i right click on a folder and go to "Properties"
i get

** (nautilus:3799): WARNING **: Can't find description even for "x-directory/normal". This probably means that your gnome-vfs.keys file is in the wrong place or isn't being found for some other reason.

% ls -la /usr/share/mime-info/gnome-vfs.*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1449987 Jan 17 2004 /usr/share/mime-info/gnome-vfs.keys -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9949 Jan 17 2004 /usr/share/mime-info/gnome-vfs.mime

Is this a dug, a feature or user error ?

I am running:

libgnomevfs2-0                 2.7.90-1
gnome-mime-data             2.4.1-2
shared-mime-info              0.14-1.1