need gconf usage advice

Hello,

I am a Debian user and an upstream developer for gramps package.
We are currently moving to the correct usage of the gconf
as outlined in http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gconf/index.html

My question concerns the much discussed case of gconfd not being aware
of the schemas installed after gconfd has been started. A typical scenario:
user installs a package by becoming a superuser and doing make install.

In that case, the gconfd is alreday running and does not become aware
of the new schemas installed with make install.

Empirically I found that `pkill gconfd' does the trick. Googling on the
subject turned up some mailing list discussions, including this lists's
thread from June of this year. All discussion implied that killing gconfd
is alright and that, while it does not solve 100% of the problems like
running applications not being notified about new schemas it still
is a good solution for new installs.

However, this list's thread also mentioned some Debian patches to gconf.
It was not quite clear whether these changes are upcoming or already
in place, and also what would be the implications.

So, is placing the following in the Makefile the proper thing to do:

install-schemas:
	$(INSTALL_DATA) gramps.schemas $(DESTDIR)/etc/gconf/schemas
	GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=$(GCONF_SCHEMA_CONFIG_SOURCE) \
		gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule gramps.schemas
	pkill gconfd

or something else should be used?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building