Re: Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

> From: Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
> Date: 2004/07/15 Thu AM 11:00:59 EDT
> To: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
> CC: debian-gtk-gnome@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension
<snip>
> > > "Control-F" is also good for finding a file/directory in the currently
> > > viewed directory.
> > Thanks for the further hint.  Gnome people seemed to have done a great job
> > in hiding very nice features.

Thanks as well for pointing this out -- I've been wondering where this
feature is for quite a while. I like having Control-F (or in my case,
Control-S) functional. However, I think the way Nautilus does it and the way
I remember Macs doing it when I grew up is much better: typing automatically
searches ahead in a list of files. This is intuitive, accessible, instant,
and not remotely "power user." The default listbox behavior of having a
white box show up in the corner as you search is nice for showing you
exactly what you've searched, but seems rather surprising and potentially
offputting.

But perhaps this goes beyond GNOME to gtk generally -- I would love it if
TreeView, OptionMenus and ComboBoxes should all support typing to select an
option.

Tom, who loves the spatial nautilus and still prefers not to use his mouse.

---
Like linux? Like GNOME? Like cooking? Try out my recipe program at
http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net

 ----Please contribute to my online collaborative literature athttp://tommyrot.arrr.net/qwiki/ ----