esd, other processes not reaped after end of session

I find it very annoying that when a user logs out, their "esd" and
"bonobo-activation-server", as well as some of the Evolution daemons are
not reaped.  This means they are 1) consuming system resources, and most
annoyingly 2) the next user cannot start ESD on hardware that allows
only one process to have the dsp open.

What I've done is add the line:

su --shell=/bin/bash --command="killall esd >/dev/null 2>&1" "$USER"

... to /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default but I think that a more general
solution is required, since there are numerous other processes that
should also be stopped at the end of the session.

It is also possible that a user has a legitimate reason to leave a
process running after logout, so a simple "slay $USER" is not
appropriate.

Perhaps some of the gnome packages should be dropping a "kill me" flag
file into a .d down in /etc that indicates to a post session script that
the process with the same name as this flag file, owned by $USER, if
still running, should be killed off.  For people who use "startx", it
won't work, but maybe we can just say "so what" in that case?

Ah... I should mention; a fresh install, using the "aptitude" method,
then selecting "gnome-desktop-environment" and "x-window-system"
meta-packages did not leave me with GDM installed, only XDM.  Please fix
that!  IMO, XDM sucks and should NOT be installed; GDM is awesome and
_should_ be installed.

Any ideas?  I really think this ought to be done BEFORE the Sarge
release!  It's so annoying.  I am willing to file a formal bug report,
but I'm not certain what to file it on...  It's something that will
require the co-ordinated efforts of all of the Gnome team, I'm afraid.

Q: Does KDE have similar problems?  If so, they should get on it also.
I'm not a KDE user, and it is not installed here, so I cannot answer
this.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom@pdx.edu>