Re: Debian/Gnome menu

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:32:31AM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:38:26PM +0000, Mark Howard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After recent events [1], is there any chance that the gnome menu might
> > get sorted out sometime soon?
> >
> > Discussions on debian-devel about the menu in the past seem to have
> > turned into flame wars about what technology we should be using - did
> > any good come out of this?
>
> KDE maintainer Chris Cheney has implemented a menu-method that create
> a freedesktop compliant menu structure from the Debian menu. It could be
> worthwhile to share this menu structure between KDE and GNOME, at least
> for maintainability.

Hello Debian GNOME maintainers,

Chris Cheney has released a new package, menu-xdg, that provides
menu-methods that build freedesktop compliant .desktop, .directory, and
.menu files.

I am in the process of tweaking menu and menu-xdg so that it generate
multilingual .directory. A prototype was send to Chris Cheney already.

I believe it is in the best interest of everyone if the GNOME packages
were updated to use menu-xdg. This will make the process far more
maintainable by allowing me to improve menu without waiting for a full
upload of GNOME and KDE.

Do not hesitate to contact me and Chris for info how to proceed.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.