Re: wrong splash screen

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 20:17 +0000, Roelof Wobben wrote:
[snip]
> But now Im seeing a debian splash screen when im choosing Gnome instead of
> the Gnome splash screen where i can see the version number.
>
> Who knows how i can fix this.

As suggested by others, but here is the actual command:

(as a regular user from a terminal. will only update your own splash
screen. ):

gconftool-2 --type string --set
"/apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image"
"/usr/share/pixmaps/splash/gnome-splash.png"

(as root for all users mandatory -- cannot be overridden by Debian
packages; not impossible, just against policies)

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type string --set
"/apps/gnome-session/options/splash_image"
"/usr/share/pixmaps/splash/gnome-splash.png"

Of course you can choose any of the nice images from art.gnome.org and
replace the above path with whatever path you choose to put the image
in.

And lastly, for the sysadmin in you, you could just get my tied_gnome.sh
script from:

http://www.latinomixed.com/downloads/tied_gnome.sh.gz

... and make Gnome a nice rock-solid (unbreakable!) desktop for all
users. The script can be customized per workstation/server by simply
copying the configuration variables in a file
called /etc/default/tied_gnome. Have fun.
(Note, I usually do something like: head -97 tied_gnome.sh
> /etc/default/tied_gnome and edit the resulting file as I please. Read
the comments).

Hope that helps...

Luis M
System Administrator/Web Developer
LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1@latinomixed.com

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you
work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" -- Steve Jobs
in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

 http://www.latinomixed.com/