Re: Using libtool 1.5.2-2 to limit dependencies?

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 17:34 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> I assume you are all pretty well aware that a significant part of
> Gnome-* has inflated dependencies, e.g. almost every program links
> directly against some version of libtasn although problably only one
> out of 100 really uses any function from it.
>
> This is no bug in the sourcecode but caused by a long-standing libtool
> bug (#191425) that has recently been fixed in 1.5.2-2.

> I wonder whether it would make sense to use this libtool version at
> least in the experimental Gnome packages. - libtoolizing freshly will
> bloat the diff.gz but it might be worth the trouble.

Please do; that patch needs testing and though I've tested it with my
own test suite, it's still not a real-world test.  Please note that this
patch is only included in the Debian Libtool packages for now, someone's
vetoed it upstream and it'd be good if we can demonstrate that its
important.

Also please make sure you still keep the .la files, they're even more
important now -- you'll notice that they still do include the
dependency_libs just that Libtool only uses the ones that apply for
static linking.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?