Re: RHN-like applet for APT?

På Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 02:42:57PM +0100, Michael Vogt skrev:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 02:13:36PM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > The first problem I see is the applet would need to check for updates,
> > without root access. I don't think the normal apt access methods will
> > work as a user.
> That's true. The infrastructure is already in synaptic, but the
> problem is the root access. A possible way to workaround this problem
> is to have alternative list, status and archive dirs.

I suppose that the users that want an applet like the one described, will
have root access on the box they're monitoring. Why would one want to
monitor system updates if they can't be installed? So maybe it's an idea
(yeah, it's not a perfect solution) to require sudo (or even gnome-sudo) to
gain root access before apt-get updating.

  hth, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws@xs4all.nl

sugar sugar :: you couldn't taste it :: in my throat         -- heather nova