Re: Gome Splash screen hangs at nautilus after 2.8 upgrade

That's one of those things that comes on and off. My advice:

Log in and out a few times with different "Save Session" settings
and make sure you read your ~/.xsession-errors file. You might find
your answer there.

Another thing I have done in slow computers is leave the dialog open
and see how long it takes to close. Eventually it will (especially if
you don't start that Sound Server that we all learn to "love", or
replace that FAMd server with gamin -- currently part of unstable.
Works like a charm for me).