Re: Evolution upgrade hell

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 09:11 -0500, James Strandboge wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 14:52 -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
>
> > Not so fast.  Upgraded this morning, and when I ran evolution for the
> > first time, it successfully converted my mail and then crashed somewhere
> > in the contacts, calendar or tasks
>
> I had a similar experience, but I had the disk space...

I had the disk space too, the first time.  After the crash, I ran again
and then didn't have the disk space.

Oh -- you mean you had the disk space the second time?  Oh no...

> > Not so fast.  Now I have two of every contact, for about 3600 instead of
> > 1800.
>
> I had this too-- so I did a palm sync 'copy from pilot' and it fixed
> them.

Wish I had seen this before this morning.  Did a sync (after copying the
old addressbook.db into the new one), and now all of my contacts entries
are duplicated in both places!

Also, evolution crashes every time I delete or modify a contact.  I'll
try to get a backtrace for a bug report when I have time.

> The problem I then had was with evolution and sync'ing my Tasks and
> Calendar.  See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=286896
> for some of my adventures.  Unfortunately, it isn't resolved yet.  Are
> people able to sync their palm's reliably with evolution 2?  I can't
> seem to even sync reliably (and by that I mean without having evolution
> add literally thousands of blank entries to the calendar or tasks) when
> no changes were made on the palm or evo.

I haven't had this problem (yet).  And at this point syncing seems to be
reasonably reliable, I can even delete stuff from the Palm and have it
deleted on the desktop, which is how I'm removing all of the duplicate
entries.

> > And what the heck is up with such massive breakage in a x.0.3 release??
> > Didn't evolution 2.0 come out many months ago?
>
> Got to admit, after some 5 hours of struggling with my issues and trying
> to provide good information for a bug report, I was wondering the same
> thing.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one...

Thanks,

-Adam P.