Re: Lost Desktop after upgrading to GNOME 2.8 on Testing

I don't really know if this throws any light over the problem, but I've executed 'nautilus -c' and, depending on the locale settings (LANG and GDM_LANG either set as "C" or as "es_ES.UTF-8@euro"), this is what I get:

* For C:
running nautilus_self_check_search_uri
running nautilus_self_check_file_utilities
running nautilus_self_check_file_operations
running nautilus_self_check_directory
-- no more messages, it get stalled there. Expected behaviour?

* For Spanish:
running nautilus_self_check_search_uri
running nautilus_self_check_file_utilities
running nautilus_self_check_file_operations

FAIL: check failed in nautilus-file-operations.c, line 2663
     evaluated: get_duplicate_name (" (copy)", 1)
      expected:  (another copy)
           got:  (copy) (copia)
FAIL: check failed in nautilus-file-operations.c, line 2664
     evaluated: get_duplicate_name ("foo", 1)
      expected: foo (copy)
           got: foo (copia)
FAIL: check failed in nautilus-file-operations.c, line 2665
     evaluated: get_duplicate_name (".bashrc", 1)
      expected: .bashrc (copy)
           got: .bashrc (copia)
FAIL: check failed in nautilus-file-operations.c, line 2666
     evaluated: get_duplicate_name (".foo.txt", 1)
      expected: .foo (copy).txt
           got: .foo (copia).txt
-- it keeps complaining line by line with messages like those till...
FAIL: check failed in nautilus-file-operations.c, line 2703
     evaluated: get_duplicate_name ("foo (123rd copy).txt", 1)
      expected: foo (124th copy).txt
           got: foo (123rd copy) (copia).txt
running nautilus_self_check_directory
-- and agin it gets stalled.

In any case, setting the locale to C doesn't solve the problem.

Any hints?

Thank you.

Eduardo

Amaya wrote:

Eduardo Díaz wrote:
This means that:
- I get a grey desktop (no wallpaper, no icons, nothing).

- No way to add wallpaper images.

- I cannot launch the file browser by clicking on its icon.
- I cannot launch the file browser from a shell but I still get no
 feedback message.
- Nautilus is in fact running, but it leaves no error on /var/log/syslog.

- no traces in .xsession-errors either.

- I experience the same with the root user.

- and several test users created especifically for debugging this :)

- No errors are coming up.

- eog is unable to load any images either.

Anybody seen this?
I got rid of my .gnome* .local .gconf/* ... but no luck.