Re: concurrent X users and gnome-volume-manager

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 07:03:22AM +1100, Graham Williams wrote:

 > At any time on one machine (home machines running Debian unstable) I
 > allow multiple users to have their X sessions running concurrently
 > (e.g., on tty7, tty8, etc). I've not yet figured out how to get
 > gnome-volume-manager working happily in this situation.

 My initial reaction is "sorry, you loose".

 You are in a situation where g-v-m just won't work.  By automatically
 mounting a device the first user that mounts the device "owns" it,
 i.e. only this user and root can unmount this device (it's what the
 "user" option does)

 I can't imagine a sane way to deal with this.  There's no "current"
 desktop really.  It's just two processes cooperating.  The X server
 "knows" which desktop is active because it arbitrates access to
 hardware and it cooperates with the other X server accessing the
 hardware.

 You could signal g-v-m to go and "sleep" when the desktop changes, but
 I'm not aware of a mechanism for the X server to inform applications of
 something like this.  This still leaves you with the other problem:
 user A mounts and user B wants to unmount it.

 Sorry,

 Marcelo