Re: Mixer Problem

[err, whoops, let me try that again]

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 21:47 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Wow, editing udev rules is required to have basic functionality?  I
> commend you, but that's not at all cool for a desktop system.

I just did a fresh install using the latest d-i, then upgraded to
unstable and I didn't have to play with udev to get alsa working. It
didn't just work out of the box, however.

I did the following:

      * Install appropriate ALSA packages: alsa-base, alsa-utils,
        libesd-alsa0
      * Run alsaconf
      * Comment the lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and the "...
        sound-slot-0 ..." line in /etc/modprobe.d/sound (I don't want
        OSS emulation modules installed)
      * run update-modules
      * add a line to /etc/discover.conf to prevent discover from
        installing the equivalent OSS modules

If you reboot after all this and have adjusted the mixers appropriately
you should now have working sound, or at least, I did. The biggest
problem was working out that discover was installing the OSS modules
first at boot time, hence breaking alsa.

Now if only the alsa modules survived across ACPI S3 sleep on mt T21,
I'd be a happy man.

HTH,
/Mike

--