Re: Mixer Problem

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 19:56, Luis M wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 12:59 +0300, Tolga Ozmen wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I cant use gnome mixer. My sound card is cmpci and onboard. But my
> > sound is working. I can use XMMS on sound. My gnome 2.8 (experimental)
> > on debian unstable.
>
> Kernel 2.6? Using Alsa drivers?
>
> You might need to install "libesd-alsa0". That should do it.

Not always.  I run on three different machines with three different
sound cards; one works, two don't.  Yes, I installed libesd-alsa0 on all
three, and ran alsaconf on all three, and neither the regular mixer nor
gnome-alsamixer works on the two that don't.

I think it's a kernel-udev interaction problem: sound worked on 2.6.3
without udev, sound fails on any 2.6 with udev, sound fails on 2.6.5+ on
those machines with or without udev.  Also, OSS doesn't seem to work
with udev.  And gnome-volume-manager requires udev.

So there's a fundamental conflict between sound and gnome-volume-manager
on some systems, depending on which sound driver is used.

Happily, 2.6.9 has as one of its big changes a large ALSA update.  Could
this possibly fix these problems?

Cheers,

-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg