Re: how to hide hidden files on desktop with nautilus 2.7?

On Aug 25, 2004, at 2:52 PM, digger vermont wrote:

Hi oli,

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 01:04 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
hi,

On Mo, 2004-08-23 at 18:39 -0400, digger vermont wrote:
Hello All,
	I've upgraded to nautilus 2.7.4-1 from experimental.  With
desktop_is_home_dir set the hidden files and directories are now shown.
Is there something I'm missing, perhaps a key I can set to suppress
them, or is this a bug?

simply run a:

echo "filename" >> .hidden

on the console in your home for every file you don't want to see.

Thanks for the hint.  The .hidden file looks useful for the odd file or
folder you'd like to hide but a bit unwieldy for the home directory with hundreds of config files and directories, since it doesn't seem to allow
regrex.  It also operates on the both  desktop_is_home_dir and home
directory itself, rather than individually.

what about:

/bin/ls -a >> .hidden

That would do it. Then you open the file and remove the names that you actually want to see.

just my .02...

Luis Mondesi
System Administrator

lemsx1@hotmail.com

"...The Mac does this so smoothly, it feels like an extension of your mind." - Paula Speer, MacWorld Magazine 2003-04