PROBLEM FOUND: Annoying mozilla crashes.

В сообщении от Втр, 2004-07-06 at 00:47 +0200, Michel Dänzer писал:

> > About a month ago, after some apt-get update, I got mozilla (1.6, 1.7
> > now and I guess that update didn't changed Mozilla itself) and all
> > mozilla-based browsers (epiphany, galeon and even firefox) spitefully
> > crashing on SOME sites. (Like http://incoming.debian.org/ and
> > http://wiki.silverorange.com/GnomeOutliner/Documentation)
> I got similar crashes cured magically by running dpkg-reconfigure
> fontconfig (with no changes); I assume fc-cache did the trick.

This is because I used Freetype 2.1.8 from (sury.org, not Debian's one)
and I had bitmapped fonts enabled. If I disable bitmapped fonts or install
Debian's freetype, all goes smoothly. I need Terminus fonts, so I just
installed Debian's libfreetype6, but I has a critical problem (the one
from sury.org doesn't):

If I enable autohinter, there's a garbage in italic cyrillic verdana (and
some other fonts also) glyphs. This is reported several times ([0],[1]) and
this is because of a patch introduced 2.1.7-2. Please, look at
the screenshots [2], [3]

What should Cyrillic (and probably other) do with that? This ugly thing is already in Sarge,
and maintainer doesn't even feel the itch to fix that. I didn't receive any replies from
maintainer for theese bugs. In debian, who can do something with inactive maintainers? :)
This is definitely not suitable for release!

[2] https://mx.horse21.net/ft/2.1.7-2-with_autohinting.png
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi/Screenshot.png?bug=230179&msg=12&att=1

--
Dan Korostelev <dan@ats.energo.ru>