Re: Distance between menu item

Ross Burton wrote:
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 09:14, Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 23:42 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:

I noticed that the distance between menu items in Debian GNOME is very large. Therefore you can not have many bookmarks and also large menus cover the whole screen on low resolution monitors

I made a screenshot of the applications menu in debian
See http://ftp.haitsma.org/debian-gnome.jpg
and the one in Fedora
See http://ftp.haitsma.org/rh-gnome.jpg

In Debian the menu items are 30 pixels apart and in Fedora only 24 pixels. Is there an option I can set to get them closer?

I suspect it's a bug somewhere. I had assumed it was specific to ttf-
freefont because that got upgraded recently, but apparently not, so it's
probably somewhere else in the text rendering stack: libfontconfig1,
libxft2, libpango1.0-0, libgtk2.0-0, ... ? (I'm pretty sure it's not
libfreetype6)

I think GTK+ 2.4 has more padding between menu items than 2.2, so I'd
say that your Fedora is using 2.2.  Is this right?

Yes, it's fedora 1. So it uses GTK+ 2.2.
I found a screenshot of somebody who installed fedora core 2.(I'm a bit to lazy to download and install FC2) It seems that there the spacing of the menu items is even larger then what I'm seeing on Debian right now See: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/marketing/en/2004/two-six-screenshots/html/large/Jorge_Castro_templates.png

Jaap