Re: policy for accepting new members/packages

Le mer, 23/06/2004 à 15:48 -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva a écrit :
> Hi all,

Hey,

> What I would like to propose is that we should start thinking about
> a policy for accepting new members and packages.

I'm not sure of how to do this. It's really not easy to define who
should be accepted or not (as far as they have done a minimum of work or
have some packages to add to the repository) ...

BTW I would like to avoid to have a lot of people in the team with a big
part of them MIA (who said "a Debian in Debian" ? :). In my opinion, the
SVN repository, the IRC chan and the alioth list are great tools to
work, and maintaining packages as a team is really efficient ... as long
as we have enough people working for the number of packages.

I don't think that we can have a control of how many people are active
or not, but I feel the more packages we have in the SVN the better it
is. Having a lot package in the team management is not more work (they
are here on the SVN, we don't need to work on them), but it's a great
advantage when we have to fix something (no need to go with the NMU
process).

So I would like to see the team open to extra package. BTW I'm not sure
it's good to have all that in the same SVN. Perhaps we should decide to
split it in 2 (or perhaps 3 parts):
- the GNOME official desktop (+ major related soft/fifth toe) ...
basically the part we have in the SVN at the moment
- the GNOME related apps

So we could keep a core team on the desktop, and have a second SVN
(alioth project ? or a branch of the actual one ?) for "contributors".

Please keep also in mind that you don't need to be a team member to
help, some useful things to do:
- attach patches to the bugs
- help to clean bugs: reply to submitter to ask details, news of old
bugs, forward bug upstreams, ... BTW if you do this please start with
old bugs, don't reply to today's mail before the maintainer, let him
some time to do his job :)

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher