Re: esd, other processes not reaped after end of session

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 16:19 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:

> Any ideas?  I really think this ought to be done BEFORE the Sarge
> release!  It's so annoying.  I am willing to file a formal bug report,
> but I'm not certain what to file it on...  It's something that will
> require the co-ordinated efforts of all of the Gnome team, I'm afraid.

I'm not sure about other daemons that get started automatically by
Gnome, but in the case of esd, you have the choice to tell it to kill
itself after N seconds of not being used. My esd config file is like:

$> cat /etc/esound/esd.conf
[esd]
auto_spawn=0
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 3
spawn_wait_ms=100

And then I have a mandatory key to not allow users to turn on the Sound
Server Startup by themselves. I never see any problems with sound and
the esd daemon auto-kills itself after 3 seconds ;-).

> Q: Does KDE have similar problems?  If so, they should get on it also.
> I'm not a KDE user, and it is not installed here, so I cannot answer
> this.

Ditto. Never would dare to use KDE. I have since removed all kde related
stuff from my system except for a few libraries here and there. ;-)

Hope this helps...

Luis M
System Administrator/Web Developer
LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1@latinomixed.com

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you
work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" -- Steve Jobs
in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

 http://www.latinomixed.com/