preferred applications

I'm not a developer, and so I hope that I am not trespassing
on this list.  I am looking for help in setting custom
preferred applications in gnome-2.6 on current unstable.

I am unable to set a custom application for any of the four
tabs (Web Browser, Mail Reader, Text Editor, Terminal) in
the Preferred Applications dialog box.  I am allowed to
select what I want, and the selection is remembered when I
switch back and forth among the tabs, but if I close the
dialog box, then when I re-open it my selections are no
longer in place.

In particular, if I choose a custom application for either
of the first two tabs (Web Browser or Mail Reader), then
after closing and re-opening the dialog box, a strange
horizontal dash appears inside *each* radio button, as if
the system is in an indeterminate state and neither a
hard-coded nor a custom application is selected.

Selecting a custom application on either of the second two
tabs (Text Editor or Terminal) merely results in a reversion
to the hard-coded alternative after the dialog is closed and
re-opened.

I'm trying to get mozilla-thunderbird to launch
mozilla-firefox when I click on a link in a mail message.
So far, I am restricted to selecting only the hard-coded
applications from the drop-down box.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan   (303) 939-6386   Ball Aerospace, Boulder