Re: Testversion of synaptic 0.50 available

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Michael Banck wrote:

> From: Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Testversion of synaptic 0.50 available

> > > I totally agree. The problem is that apt itself does lack some
> > > features. That's why all front-ends come up with there own solutions.
> >
> > echo package purge | dpkg --set-selections && apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Could you please elaborate how this helps for the issue at hand?

>From what I understand, the original poster complained that after
running debfoster, it's never recorded which packages actually should be
purged, and when afterwards running aptitude, the packages selected
previously are not purged.

With dpkg --set-selections, you can set which packages are to be
installed/removed etc, which gets done the next time you run apt-get
dist-upgrade.

I recommend you check the relevant documentation.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz@ULYSSIS.Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."