gpdf fails due to libfreetype bug

Gpdf can't display any files created by pdflatex (#233255 [1]). It
appears that this problem is due to freetype and that it has been fixed
in the latest upstream release, 2.1.8, which was made in April see,

However, 2.1.8 hasn't yet been packaged for debian. I filed a grave bug
against libfreetype6 (#249443 [2]) but haven't had any response yet.
There is also a 24 day old normal bug (#245532 [3]) asking for
libfreetype6 to be upgraded because it breaks another package, this has
gone unanswered.

I've tried to rebuild the debian libfreetype package with the new
upstream release - but I failed (not really surprising as I have no
experience of debian packaging).  Would it be possible for someone to
make a i386 2.1.8 package availible somewhere so that I can confirm that
it fixes the bug?