Re: xkb

Keir Lawson <keir@thelawsons.plus.com> writes:

> after upgrading to gnome 2.6 (experimental), whenever i start gnome an
> error message comes up saying:
>
> Error activating XKB configuration.
> Probably internal X server problem.
>
> X server version data:
> The XFree86 Project, Inc
> 40300001
> You are using XFree 4.3.0.
> There are known problems with complex XKB configurations.
> Try using simpler configuration or taking more fresh version of XFree
> software.

[...]

You should have a look at your session (launch
gnome-session-properties). If you find something like 'gswitchit' or
'gnome-keyboard-layout' or whatever it is called today, running,
remove it from your session. The GSwitchit developers say that XFree
4.3.0 is to blame and that later releases of XFree 4.3 have been
fixed. Can't confirm as nothing newer than 4.3.0 is in Debian.

If you need multiple keyboard layouts, configure them in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 instead. I for my part need German and Russian
layouts and these two lines in the InputDevice section do what I want:

    Option    "XkbLayout"   "de,ru"
    Option    "XkbOptions"  "grp:shift_toggle"

This works just fine. For the non-technical users it would be fine,
however, if GSwitchit would finally be fixed. It is a shiny, desktoppy
tool. But at present it just doesn't work. For me at least.

Thanks,

Johannes

--
~/.signature under construction