Re: All gtk+ apps crash after dist-upgrade

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 13:55, Roderich Schupp wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 09:59, murrayc@murrayc.com wrote:
> > After doing a dist-upgrade (of testing), I find that any GTK+ app
> > crashes, including gdm I think. After installing kdm, I was able to
> > investigate a bit with a KDE session.
> >
> > There's a warning about the Bitstream Vera fonts that might be relevant.
> > But ttf-bitstream-vera is installed, and the permissions seem to be
> > fine. Any ideas?
> > ** (gnome_segv:7675): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font
> > Bitstream Vera Sans 10
>
> Did you build libgtk* yourself? I had the same symptoms, it turned
> out that I had an ancient libXft.{so,a} lying around in /usr/X11R6/lib.
> Check with ldd that /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 links
> to /usr/lib/libXft.so.2 only (i.e. no other libXft) and that it doesn't
> contain the string XftConfig (in case it has linked in
> the bad libXft.a).

Thanks for the perfect clue. libgtk-X11-2.0 was linking to libXft.so.1
and libXft.so.2. One of them was in my self-built /opt/gnome26 prefix. I
seem to have put that path in my /etc/ld.so.conf, which was probably a
bad idea. Thanks lots.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com