Re: gconf and the FHS

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 17:01, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> 1. .schemas files are stored in /etc while they shouldn't be modifiable.
> Upstream even asks us not to patch them. These should be moved to /usr.

I've talked to Havoc about this in the past, and GConf 2 will be more
FHS compliant.

> 2. When schemas are registered, files are generated in
> /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults. This is very bad, as this prevents both
> packagers and administrators to provide a custom configuration.
>
> The first issue is easy to solve, as dh_gconf can handle it alone. It
> should be done for the GNOME 2.6 introduction to unstable. The plan is
> simple:
>  * upload an updated debhelper to unstable
>  * upload the GNOME 2.6 packages to unstable the day after
> This should be completely transparent.

I posted a patch on the list a few weeks ago -- if everyone agrees that
it is good I can push it to Joey, or gconf-dev can divert it.

Is this a good summary of the plan:

1) modify dh_gconf to relocate schemas to /usr/share
2) add /var paths to the gconfd path
3) add migration code to gconfd postinst
4) modify gconftool --makefile-install-rule to install defaults into
   /var
5) Profit!

Ross
--