Re: Gnome-print usage

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:46:55 +0000, "Ross Burton" <ross@burtonini.com>
said:
> On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 21:28, Rob Taylor wrote:
> > first off,a question. Why, if i install gnome-cups-manager, it is placed
> > in preferences://System-Tools, rather than system-settings://?
>
> Does anyone actually use system-settings://?  I've only ever seen it
> populated on Red Hat.
>
> Really gnome-system-tools and gnome-cups-manager need to agree on a
> location to appear in the menus.  Desktop Prefs->System is not great, as
> it's not a desktop preference, but stock GNOME doesn't have a System
> Settings menu entry.  Maybe we should patch the vFolder a la Red Hat and
> add System Settings after Desktop Preferences?

Agreed abou Desktop prefs->System - its not clear at all. a System
Setting entry after Desktop Preferences sounds clear and logical. I'l try
and have a look at doing this if alioth comes alive agin.

> > Secondly, here's an overview of functionally I'd like to see (and will do
> > the work myself, this is a high-priority task for me ;)
> >
> > 1) Addition of odd/even/reverse printing options to the default
> > gnome-print dialog
>
> If you are going to use CUPS, then you could apply the Ximian Desktop 2
> patches to libgnomeprint, which make the print dialogs a fair bit nicer
> (but assume that CUPS is being used).  IIRC, this is one of the extra
> options.

Umm, I check out patches.ximian.com, biut only found one minor
localisation patch again gnome-print. Should i be looking elsewhere?

> > 2) Addition of ability to install ppd from a driver disk in
> > gnome-cups-manager
>
> You'd need to aquire root access for this somehow -- as far as I know
> gnome-cups-manager can run as a normal user as it talks to CUPS to do
> the work, which can become root.

gnome-cups-manager already askes the user for a root password when it
needs it (e.g. adding a new printer)

> > 3) Panel application for printer status and queue management
>
> As Sebastien pointed out, gnome-cups-manager comes with this.

Yeah. I finally figures that i needed a notification tray to see it..
(doh). It would be good if we can make gnome-cups-manager check that the
user has a notification tray and to set gnome-cups-icon to load on gnome
startup. Also would be nice to provide a method for the user to open the
queue window even if its empty.

Rob Taylor