Re: Gnome-print usage

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Rob Taylor wrote:
> Secondly, here's an overview of functionally I'd like to see (and will do
> the work myself, this is a high-priority task for me ;)

Really nice to see someone saying he is going to contribute patches
instead of whining about what's not there. :)

> 1) Addition of odd/even/reverse printing options to the default
> gnome-print dialog
> 2) Addition of ability to install ppd from a driver disk in
> gnome-cups-manager

Well, since you're using debian, wouldn't make a lot more sense to use
apt for that?

> There are also a few default gnome programs that don't use
> gnome-print/the gnome-print dialog or have broken printing:
>
> GIMP: doesn't use gnome-print dialogs and does some printer management.
> Why? What's going on here?

It uses something called gimp-print.
I don't know the technical details, but I suppose this is because they
have different needs (being a very heavy graphical program).
Also, the GIMP has traditionally been a GTK+ only program, and some of
the GIMP developers oppose using GNOME dependencies. So it's also a
political issue.

I suggest you contact one of the gimp mailing lists
(http://www.gimp.org/mailing_list.html), but make sure not to start a
GTK+ vs GNOME flamewar ;)

kr,

Chipzz AKA