Correct way to specify GTK 1.x theme?

Hello,

Currently running testing/unstable with GNOME 2.4 on x86.

I want to get rid of the ugly fonts / select another theme for all GTK 1.x
apps like gnucash and xmms.  When I use gtk-theme-switch, it writes to
~/.gtkrc OK.  I've got a font override in ~/.gtkrc-mine.  But I'm not
seeing those apps using the theme I selected...   Could someone please
suggest:
1) Some other 1.x apps to try, to see whether it's a problem across the
board
2) Some other "Debian" way of setting 1.x themes?

TIA,
-Dave.