Re: GDM still from gnome 2.2 and contains lots of bugs :(

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:08:58AM +0200, Mantas Kriaučiūnas wrote:
> There are plans to release gdm for gnome 2.4 ?

I asked Ryan about this on IRC a few days before the security incident,
and he told me it was high on his TODO. This isn't, apparently, a
trivial task, as there's lots of Debian patches to forward port.

> It seems debian gdm maintainer doesn't have time to fix bugs, for example
> default language bug is about 2 years old, This bug exists from these times,
> when I started to use Gnome from debian unstable !!! (previous I used Gnome
> from Stormix and from HelixCode)

Ryan already commented on this list how the language thing should be
fixed, but apparently nobody has worked on it. What the maintainer
doesn't want to do is to source some random pam config file. What Debian
needs to do is to set a global language very early in the boot process.
This is necessary if we ever want translatable init scripts, anyway.
When such setup is in Debian, gdm will be able to know easily what
language to use.

> Same with poweroff (restart) bug - some people already wroten patch for
> this, why this patch isn't in Debian ?

What bug?

> Maybe debian-gnome team should help to maintain such important package like
> gdm ?

I don't think Ryan will reject help with bug triaging or help to forward
port the stuff. Not this week, I guess. There are other[1] important
things going on right now...

Jordi
[1] http://www.wiggy.net/debian/
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/