Re: background in gnome 2.4

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:

[...]

>> Still, I haven't found any way to let nautilus draw the icons on the
>> desktop, but not the background image.
>
> You can't. Nautilus draws a window on top of the root window. That's the
> only sane way to get desktop file management working.

Not the only _possible_ way. GMC sucked, yes, but it did not interfere
with the desktop background. With GMC and E you could do exactly what
the original poster wants. There are more apps that draw icons on the
desktop, dfm comes to mind which also does not touch the background.

I'd assume that the only valid technical reason why nautilus always
has to grab desktop background image management is that earlier
versions (1.x) had their own built-in anti-aliasing. Something which
is clearly obsolete now.

Thanks,

Johannes

--