Re: gnome is testing appears broken

Any ideas on what is going on??? I'm using a xfree86 v4.3.0 from experimental as my hardware requires it. The machine is too new and XF86 in Debian is so way behind. I don't think the X server is the problem as KDE seems to work OK.

I have fixed this a few times before. Whatever the problem is in XFree86 4.3; I don't really know it. But this happens when you use the latest knoppix (3.2 or 3.3) and install it to a computer and then "apt-get" gnome 2.4; so I guess the same happens to gnome 2.2 (testing/sarge). The best thing to do is to downgrade all X related stuff to 4.2 and magically everything works. I assume is something to do with some fonts, but, I don't know what it is and I got tired of looking for it in 3 or so computers that had the same problem. I know that if you installed gs-fonts package, this error would recur. But "apt-get --reinstall install fontconfig" and letting it rebuild the cache fixes that (after removing the gs-fonts package of course). There was a discussion about that here before, I just don't know if it got fixed or what...

Hope that helps.

Luis Mondesi
System Administrator
LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1@hotmail.com

"...The Mac does this so smoothly, it feels like an extension of your mind." - Paula Speer, MacWorld Magazine 2003-04

Public signature: http://www.latinomixed.com/lems1/public-a.asc

MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous ! http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp