Re: famd and mount

Josselin Mouette wrote:
Le jeu 06/11/2003 à 21:06, Ruben Porras a écrit :

I can't umount the floppy because famd is using it somehow.

anyone has any idea why famd don't free the floppy?

Because fam is full of nasty stupid bugs. You can safely remove it,
GNOME can operate without.

What will we be missing except from our computer NOT telling us to 'go to hell' every time we try to unmount a removeable device like an usbkey, floppy, cdrom, samba share etc. I have read the apt-cache show fam, but I don't know how the removal will affect the rest of the system. You say that Gnome can run allright, but if the whole system runs just fine without it, why is it there in the first place.
Just trying to figure out if I should remove the damn thing :)

Thanks
--Jacob