problems in gnome menu

Hi all.

My wife has been using gnome for a while now and she brought my
attention to some things she finds unnatural (or counterintuitive) in
the gnome menu. I can see her point of view, and I agree to most of
what she says:

  * "/Applications/Desktop Preferences" contains preferences for lots
    of things, as well as the Desktop. Things like acme (the
    multimedia keys system tray applet thingie---this, btw, seems to
    be the only way to launch acme), gpilotd, and everything under
    "System Tools". The menu itself "works", once you realize that it
    should be called "Preferences" and not "Desktop Preferences".

  * xscreensaver settings are in "/Applications/Desktop
    Preferences/Advanced". How is a screensaver advanced?

  * "/Applications/System Tools" holds things that are Actions and that
    should be in the "/Actions" menu:

        "Floppy Formatter"
        "New login"
        "New login in a nested window"
        "Run as a different user (GKsu)"

    (the last one seems particularly obvious, seein as how "Run
    Application..." is in "/Actions"; also it should probably have
    an ellipsis), things that should be in "/Applications/Desktop
    Preferences/Advanced":

        "Configuration Editor"

    and things that should be in "/Applications/Desktop
    Preferences/System Tools":

        "GDM Configurator"

  * "/Applications" and "/Actions" don't behave the same wrt
    right-click (with "/Actions" treating right click the same as left
    click and "/Applications" treating right click as the rest of the
    universe does). I myself am still trying to reach the rationale
    behind this decision.

I think that's about it; I'm sure she'll remind me if I forgot
anything.

Hmm, this might be more useful going to some gnome list... anyone any
ideas as to which one?

--
John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
Quem pergunta é bobo por cinco minutos. Quem não pergunta é bobo para sempre.