RE: New dependences in gnome-core, might be better in gnome?

> From: debian-gtk-gnome-request@lists.debian.org
> > What is the reasoning for including extra applications in something
> > called "GNOME Desktop". Notice that I am not challenging that, I am
> > simply asking.
>
> The meta package is called 'gnome', not 'GNOME Desktop'.

Yes, sorry.

> The
> answer, as a
> question: When you install Red Hat, and you choose the
> "GNOME" option, do you just get what upstream defines as the
> 'GNOME Desktop' release, or do you get a complete user
> environment which includes applications for common tasks?

I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that the choice in the Red Hat install
determines what panel, desktop, and file-browser are used, but I think that
the extra applications will be present regardless of the choice, because
GNOME apps can run in KDE, and KDE apps can run in GNOME. I don't think the
users cares about an application's dependencies, and I don't think he would
use that as a basis for choosing a set of apps.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc@usa.net