Re: Error upgrading to GNOME 2.4 on Sid

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 13:47:00 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:42:01PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > It seems the order in which it does the upgrade counts because
> > restarting the upgrade just after that, whitout any other change works.
>
> This is a bug in apt-get,

No it's not.

> which doesn't know that it should ignore overwrite errors when the
> packages are updated.

It doesn't need to know. Overwriting is handled by dpkg, not by apt. A
package has no business overwriting files belonging to a different package,
unless this has been thought through properly (and that fact is reflected by
a Replaces: header), which is why dpkg (at least during development cycles -
--force-overwrite is usually made the default just prior to release)
defaults to not allowing random overwrites.

> Or better yet, it should notice, and remove/upgrade the old package before
> installing the new one.

No. The new package should be fixed to declare it overwrites files from
another package. That's what the Replaces: field is for. dpkg won't complain
about package A overwriting files belonging to package B if A declares a
"Replaces: B".

Ray
--
What is this talk of software 'releases'? Klingons do not 'release'
software; our software ESCAPES, leaving a bloody trail of designers and