GNOME1 fonts in GNOME2 environment

I am running Sid.  I have fluxbox, gnome-control-center,
gtk-theme-switch, and ttf-bitstream-vera installed.

In gtk-theme-switch, I've set my font to Vera-8 for gtk-theme-switch and
gtk2-theme-switch.  Also, in gnome-control-center, I've set all my fonts
to Vera-8.  When I log into X I launch gnome-control-center and
double-click the fonts panel, which starts whatever processes that make
most of my apps respect the fonts.

All my GTK2 apps are fine.  Some of my GTK1 fonts are fine: for example,
gbuffy and blackbook use the font I've set in gtk-theme-switch.  But
SOME GTK1.2 apps like xmms, xsane, gfontsel do not: they appear to be
using Helvetica.

How can I set the font for these (apparently circa Gnome 1.4) apps?  And
why aren't they respecting gtk-theme-switch?