Re: GTK x accented words

In the last exciting episode, Bruno Diniz de Paula wrote:
> I'm having a hard time trying to configure my debian box to allow
> accented characters.
> [...]
> be us_intl. If I open an xterm, all accented characters work perfectly,
> but the problem arises when using Gnome applications which use GTK+
> (gnome-terminal, for instance). Some time ago, if I selected X Input
> Method, it worked, but now doing this makes no difference. What is the
> problem?
Could you please detail your problem? What Debian and Gnome versions are
you running? Did you set LC_ALL=pt_BR? What happens when you try to
type accented characters?

I am running a fairly complex Gnome 2.4 multilingual environment on
sid using pt_BR.ISO-8859-1, pt_BR.UTF-8, ja_JP.EUC-JP and ja_JP.UTF-8,
and everything works great with GTK apps.  In fact, one of the main
reasons that made me switch to Gnome was exactly the superb input
handling - I can switch from writing Japanese to writing Portuguese
without restarting apps, something I could do only in Emacs.  The
gnome-terminal is especially good because it allows switching
character sets.

--
Leonardo Boiko
http://quarto128.homeunix.net:128