Re: Fam dependency

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 10:43:34AM +0200, jhirche@debian.org wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Joe Drew wrote:
>

> > Removing fam support is not a fix to that bug. Report a bug on whichever
> > process crashes, and let the developer track down the problem if you're
> > not able.
> Ah you got me wrong. I wasnt referring to the package
> dependency, but the program dependency at runtime, thus
> inhibiting it from using it on startup.
> at the moment i kill famd after logging in whenever i'm
> using an afs session, which kind of works.
> anyway, i'll bug the fam people :-)

I think that stopping FAM from running sounds like fixing the symptom
rather than the problem, no matter which way you put it. If there's a
problem with FAM running on AFS, it should be fixed, not worked around.
So if you can collect any information on the crash, please do so and
report it.

Having said that, disabling FAM should be as simple as commenting out
the appropriate line in /etc/inetd.conf and telling inetd to reload its
configuration file. This won't kill any existing FAM instances but will
stop new ones from spawning.

--
Dafydd