Re: Gnome 2.4 in sid

<quote who="Johannes Rohr">

> >> 4. sarge is released with 1.4 desktop or delayed until 2.4 is ready?
> >
> > That's my worst fear. :-)
>
> [...]
>
> But that (sarge with 1.4) is highly unlikely.
>
> Large parts of Gnome 2.2 already _have_ made their way into testing. So
> for your fear to come true, this would have to be reversed.
>
> It's quite probably that this reversal would be no less problematic than
> completing the transition to Gnome 2.x, given that in the meantime the
> default compiler has changed.
>
> I don't think that any of those in charge of managing the release would
> seriously consider this option.

But you haven't covered the very serious issue here: sarge can't even ship
as is. Why the temptation to introduce even more problems (the possibility
of 2.4 piecemeal migrating) instead of ensuring a shippable sarge by letting
2.2 migrate down completely?

1.4 isn't my worst fear. Broken (current status) and/or delayed *are*.

- Jeff

     "Linux is not like Novell, it isn't going to run out of money - it
              started off bankrupt, in a way." - Steve Ballmer