Re: GNOME 2.2.2 summary 18/08/2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 17:45, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
>   |o|gaim                |0.67   |0.64   |        |

Gaim is not part of GNOME. Christian was correct to not include it in
his listing.

You are the 32nd person to contact me about the Gaim 0.67 release by
e-mail. I am beginning to sympathise with Overfiend flaming the living
hell out of people who mail him about X releases. I have also had in the
region of 20 people contacting me on IRC or IM asking about new
versions. Most annoyingly is that I'm still getting hassled about it
days after uploading the damn thing.

Gaim 0.67 is in queue/new on auric waiting for an FTP master to approve
the new libgaim-remote{0,-dev} packages. It has been there since 2 hours
before the 0.67 release was announced on sourceforge - I was involved
upstream in the decision to release what we had in CVS before breaking
it again. We even did a little string freeze too.

I didn't package 0.65 because it was broken.

I didn't package 0.66 immediately because of the new libgaim-remote
library. I repackaged using CDBS and found a debhelper bug, a CDBS bug,
and that the Gaim build system was broken. Fixed it and worked around
the other two.

I would've packaged a CVS snapshot with the fixes but gettext 0.12.x is
broken so I couldn't make dist tarballs on my system. I've subsequently
downgraded to gettext 0.11.x, so I can, but at the time it was a major
stumbling block.

When 0.67 was out I was totally ready to package it and did it after a
quick run through the bugs page and updating the changelog. And what do
I get? Continuous hassle from users, and twisted increase in the number
of bugs filed against 0.64-3 that I know are fixed in 0.67. Me? Annoyed?
Never.

Get your slop at:
 deb http://people.debian.org/~robot101/gaim {un,}stable release

Scant regards,