Re: handling beta versions

s?, 2003-08-10 kl. 00:49 skrev Norbert Tretkowski:

> today I had a discussion with the gqview maintainer (Ryan Murray)
> about bugreport #197734. I offered a NMU, which updates the package to
> a 'beta' version, because the maintainer had not responded to the
> wishlist bugreport.
>
> This so called beta version runs very stable for me, but Ryan replied
> that he does not want a beta version.

Obviously, it is his right as the maintainer to refuse to include beta
quality software in his package. But I guess you already knew that.

> So, what to do now? Create a new package, called gqview1.3? I wrote an
> ITP for gqview1.3, but after a discussion with Sebastien Bacher on IRC
> I'm not sure if this is the best way.

Since we are talking about beta quality software, I would suggest making
an unofficial package available to interested parties for a while,
before filing an ITP/including it in Debian proper. That way, you get a
much better estimate of the softwares stability. I've had good results
distributing the beta version of pan via http://www.apt-get.org/

This of course, is only a suggestion.

--
Søren O.