Re: GNOME 2.2 summary 22/06/2003

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <fsmla@xinara.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 12:49:06 +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
>> Well, if the RC bugs in xscreensaver apply to 4.0.5 and 4.0.10 equally,
>> which I suspect, than couldn't those bugs be tagged "sarge,sid"?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Would this tell the testing scripts to pass through the newer version as
>> both of them are equally buggy?
>
> I'm not sure if the scripts pick up on this yet,

But if the package info on packages.q.d.o says "package foobar is
buggy (3 > 0), then, how else does it determine that it is the version
in unstable that all 3 RC bugs apply to while the one in testing is
not affected by any of them? Does the BTS keep track, to which version
a bug report applies?

> but it should be a clear signal to the release manager who can use
> this information to nudge the newer versions through.

[...]

Looking at the current situation, I'd strongly suggest that someone
contact the release manager. I'm using a testing/unstable mixed system
myself, so I have a pretty complete beautiful Gnome 2.2 desktop. But
anyone who uses 100% pure testing will currently see a mess where
there used to be his/her Gnome desktop.

I don't think, using Gnome panel 2.2.x with nautilus 1.0.6 and Gnome
session 2.2 with control center 1.4 is a smooth experience.

About a year ago I saw real flamefests happening on this list
concerning the piecemal Gnome transition in unstable. Now, I looks
like very few people care about the poor picture of Gnome in testing,
probably because no DD uses testing, which is quite natural. Still I
think that what is happening now in testing is worse than what
happened when Gnome 2 entered unstable.

It looks like that there is no such thing as a working strategy to
ensure smooth upgrades of large package groups in testing and that
such a strategy would be bitterly needed. Or maybe the testing scripts
are not fully suited to cope with really large package groups like
Gnome or KDE.

How are the Debian KDE people preparing for the 2.2.2 > 3.1
transition? Are there other similar experiences that the Debian Gnome
people could learn from?

Thanks,

Johannes