Re: Ximian Desktop 2 & Debian

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 14:06, Ghe Rivero wrote:
> 	As all of you should know, XD2 will be released next Monday, but there
> are no plans to make a Debian Release.
> 	We think that this is a very important back step for woody, so we are
> planning to make a release with the public sources. I don't if the
> people fro Debian-gnome are planning to do some thing similar, but
> anyway, this is a "kind" of RFC (request for colaboration). Any help or
> idea or whatever is welcomed.

I personally was planning on releasing a working version of
gnome-printinfo[1], the CUPS admin tools, and the GTK+ theme.

Note that the majority of changes are patches and not new programs, so
these will be absorbed into the official GNOME releases fairly quickly.
I hope the OpenOffice.org changes are the first to go in personally.

Regarding the platforms XD2 targets -- remember that XD2 is an
enterprise desktop aimed at corporations/university/government, and runs
of the platforms most often asked for by the corporations. Amusingly one
corporation apparently wanted XD2 on Gentoo, but Ximian refused to
support it... :)

Ross

[1] formally known as gnome-printman, formally known as printman.
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                      jabber: ross@jabber.debian.net