gnome2, xfree 4.3 and keyboard symbols

Hey all,

  I've decided to give the xfree4.3 debian packages a try and everything is
fine except for one tiny detail - the diacritic symbols on the keyboard
stopped working (pl, in my case). I've got the keyboard properly configured
in the X config file, locale definition files generated and present, locale
envvars are set (in /etc/environment for gdm to load them) to

 LANG=pl_PL
 LC_MESSAGES=en_US
 LC_TIME=en_GB

  The above used to be sufficient to have polish keyboard in both X and
GNOME apps when I was running xfree4.2, right now I have to load the gnome
keyboard switcher applet to get the diacritics in _both_ gnome and x apps.
Running setxkbmap pl without loading the applet results in the keyboard
layout being loaded, but typing Alt-<char> results not in the diacritic
being displayed but in its latinized form, e.g. Alt-a should give aogonek,
but it gives 'a'.
  Does anybody have a clue as to what might have changed with regards to
keyboard handling in xfree4.3? I'd like to avoid having to load the applet
just to have the diacritics I need once in a while...

TIA,

marek

p.s. Setting LC_ALL=pl_PL doesn't help either.